The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens is a public museum located in Jacksonville, Florida. The collection is especially strong in European and American paintings and is supplemented by substantial holdings of Meissen porcelain. On 000000002010-01-25-0000January 25, 2010, the Cummer Gardens were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Museum opened in 1961 on the grounds of the former residence of Arthur and Ninah Cummer. There are three flower gardens on the museum grounds, the oldest dating back to 1903. The permanent collection of the Museum currently includes over six thousand works of art dating from 2100 b.c.e. to the twenty-first century.
The Museum is housed in a series of twentieth-century buildings, opening onto the St. Johns River, a historic and active Florida waterway. In early 2002 the Museum began a series of initiatives to study its future space needs, and acquired the adjacent historic Woman's Club of Jacksonville, a Tudor style residential building which will serve as a public programs and events center for the Museum. The project received a 2009 award from the Jacksonville Historical Commission.(Wikipedia)