Clinton Square, in downtown Syracuse, New York, was the original town center and first came into existence in the early 19th century where roadways from north and south convened. By 1825, the construction of the Erie Canal further transformed the busy intersection into the center of commerce and trade in Central New York.
The canal was filled in during 1925 and was converted to Erie Boulevard, a major thoroughfare that runs east to west through the city. Today the square is a popular location for outdoor events and festivals in the city and is located on Erie Boulevard West and North Salina Street in downtown Syracuse.(Wikipedia)