The Logan Utah Temple (formerly the Logan Temple) is the fourth constructed and the second of the still-operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Located in the city of Logan, Utah, it was the second LDS temple built in the Rocky Mountains (after the St. George Utah Temple).
The LDS temple in Logan was announced on May 18, 1877, just after the dedication of the St. George Utah Temple in April 1877. The site of the Logan Temple had been held in reserve for many years. It was used as a park and public grounds before being dedicated as the site for the temple. The Salt Lake Temple had been announced in 1847 but construction was still underway and would not be completed until 1893, so the Logan Temple was built along with the St. George Temple to satisfy the church's immediate need for temples.
Roughly 25,000 people worked on the Logan Temple. Rocks and timber used for the temple were hauled from the Temple Fork area of Logan Canyon. As completion of the temple neared, women in the area were asked to make carpets for the temple, since commercially made carpet could not be bought in Utah at that time. The women spent two months working to hand make two thousand square yards of carpet.
The Logan Temple was the second temple to be completed in the Utah area and is the sixth largest temple. It was built on a 9-acre (3.6 ha) plot selected by Brigham Young and has 4 ordinance rooms and 11 sealing rooms, with a total floor area of 119,619 square feet (11,113.0 m2).The design by the church’s head architect, Truman O. Angell, had two towers and was based on the same pattern as the Salt Lake Temple, with a large assembly hall and other similar rooms. On May 17, 1884 the Logan Temple was dedicated by LDS Church president John Taylor. The design incorporates an unusual amount of Gothic detailing compared with other temples, which are more Renaissance or Byzantine-inspired.
In 1917, a fire destroyed much of the southeast stairway of the Logan Temple. Forty thousand dollars was spent to repair it within three months. In 1949, the temple was remodeled and received updated lighting, heating, air conditioning, elevators, and other modern conveniences. In 1977, more remodeling was undertaken and the interior was completely gutted and redone. After remodeling, the temple was rededicated on March 13, 1979 by church president Spencer W. Kimball.
The Logan Temple was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1975.(Wikipedia)
"Logan LDS Temple"