Map > World > Europe > Germany > München > Lenbachhaus
Photo copyright by owner
Lenbachhaus

The Lenbachhaus in Munich contains an art museum and is part of Munich's "Kunstareal" (the "art area"). kak


The city of Munich acquired the building in 1924 and opened a museum there in 1929. The Lenbachhaus was expanded between 1927 and 1929 by Hans Grässel and again between 1969 and 1972 by Heinrich Volbehr and Rudolf Thönessen. The latest wing was closed to the public in 2009 to allow the expansion and restoration of the Lenbachhaus by Norman Foster; the 1972 extension was demolished to make way for the new building. The museum reopened in May 2013. The architect placed the new main entrance on Museumsplatz in front of the Propylaea. The new facade, clad in metal tubes made of an alloy of copper and aluminum, will weather with time.

(Wikipedia)
Visitors 32
Oldest photo 05/08/2013
Newest photo 05/08/2013
Links wikipedia
Map | World | Terms | About