Gryfino [ɡrɨˈfʲinɔ] (German: Greifenhagen; Kashubian: Gripiewò; Pomeranian Low German: Gripenhagen) is a town in Pomerania, northwestern Poland with 22,500 inhabitants (2004). It is also the capital of Gryfino County in West Pomeranian Voivodeship (since 1999), previously in Szczecin Voivodeship (1975–1998).
Before 1945 the area was part of Germany. After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration and ethnically cleansed according to the post-war Potsdam Agreement. The native German populace was expelled and replaced with Poles. For the history of the region, see History of Pomerania.
The town is located on the Odra Wschodnia (Reglitz), the eastern branch of the Oder river, about 20 kilometres (12 miles) south of the Pomeranian capital Szczecin (Stettin). The western branch of the Oder, 2 km (1 mi) away from the town center, has marked the border with Germany since 1945. There is a straight road link between Gryfino and the German town of Mescherin across the two rivers.(Wikipedia)